Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Peanut Butter Wolf's 999 Tour - Day 1 (9/1/09): Stones Throw Showcase At The Glasshouse In Pomona (909)

So the 999 tour finally got kragenoff earlier tonight at The Glasshouse in Pomona (909)




It's an OK spot for a show, I guess.  I'd only been there one time before to catch the Visionaries more than a year ago.  Worst part though: no bar = FAIL AND a *sad trombone*, so we had to improvise and we got our drink on in the whip beforehand.  Us FTW.




For those of you that are NOT knowin' about this tour, here's a quick rundown: Peanut Butter Wolf (owner and founder of the iconic Stones Throw Records) does a yearly tour of Los Angeles on consecutive nights at different venues, each  year with a different theme.  This year to coincide with 9-9-09, he is doing 9 venues on 9 straight nights in 9 different area codes in and around Los Angeles, spinning all 90's videos with NO REPEATS.  Pretty ill, right?


Anyway, Rhettmatic was the opener for the evening.  Got on waaaaay too damn early though and most of the crowd missed it (including myself).  But according to an unnamed source on Twitter, Rhett "killed it" so I'll have to take his word on that.  Mayer Hawthorne spun next, played everything from Rage Against The Machine to White Zombie to N.W.A.  Dam Funk and Pase Rock were next but I didn't really catch most of their sets, though.




DJ Muggs was definitely one of the highlights, at one point doing tricks like he was back in a DMC battle.  He went in and the crowd showed mad love.


But the main event was Peanut Butter Wolf and (to my surprise) him spinning a 2 X 4 live set with the legendary Prince Paul.  One thing I admire about Wolf is when he goes for it, HE GOES ALL OUT.  The theme for the tour is the celebration of the 90's and as he always like to keep the theme at the forefront, so check the outfits.  Wolf...you'z a fool.




I had never even seen Prince Paul in person, so it was an honor to see him get his mix on.  For anyone reading this and DOESN'T know who Prince Paul I would normally suggest to read up on him and do the knowledge.  But right now all I can say is if you don't know who Prince Paul is, you're an asshole.





I got almost the entire set on video, but it would just take me completely too long to upload the whole thing.  I'll start with a clip I was feelin' because it showed the vibe one can expect.  Tonight was very Hip Hop heavy, which you're not gonna be hearing me complain about but I hope to see more genres thrown in there.  Knowing Wolf, that is definitely on deck.

I was born at the tail end of the 70's, grew up and loved the 80's but deep down the 90's were the years that molded me.  The Golden Era of Hip Hop came right during my teenage years and I feel blessed to have lived my formative years during that time.  The music, TV, movies all seemed so much better than now.  Especially with music, it seemed like every album that dropped was a "classic"...even if we didn't realize it at the time.  Seeing all these old videos and hearing all the DJs keep it true to the essence of the 90's took me waaay back and reminded me how dope those years were.  Youngsters today aren't as lucky as I feel I was and it's kinda sad to me that they will never get to experience what I did; that feeling of hearing something fresh and brand new, seeing a culture grow right before your eyes.  I don't think we will ever really see or feel anything like that again.  That first time I heard Enter The Wu-Tang is something that I will never forget...I still remember how much that album changed my life. Trying to explain it to someone, I catch looks like I have two heads; it's just hard to put into words.  The only way to get past that would be to have someone be in that same moment in time and, sadly, times like that probably won't ever happen again.



Anyway, my initial goal was to post all the videos the night of the show, but damn...even just after the first night it's harder than I thought it was gonna be, haha.  So I'll really only have time right now for one video, but I'll have more coming soon.  Sleep is definitely catchin' up to me, but I'll see if I can keep up with 8 more nights.  Damn, I'm crazy for tryin' this.  What in thee FUCK did I get myself into?


So tomorrow's (or today's?) stop will be at the shit hole we call The Airliner in L.A.  Way too much in explaining why I don't like that spot exactly, but I'll skip the details.  They're lucky I'm doin' it for PB Wolf or I would charge THEM the $5 cover to keep me the fuck OUTSIDE.  Guess the jokes on me in the end because I'll be in the house regardless.  More vids, soon come.


On a sidenote, that Back And Forth video reminded me of what a huge crush I had on Aaliyah back in the day when that video dropped.  Mmm.  Rest In Power, girl.


-Miles logged so far: 65.3-


1 show down...




...8 more to go






-Rm



No comments: