Friday, September 4, 2009

Peanut Butter Wolf's 999 Tour - Day 3 (9/3/09): Party Weirdo At Club 149 In Long Beach (562)


The saga continues.  Next stop on the tour: Club 149 in Downtown Long Beach.




Got to the spot kinda early, so I went for a stroll around the area.




Could you tell I was bored snappin' pictures like that?  Anyway, went down around the corner by sneaker shop Proper, walked by The Academy's store which is right next door and saw this in their window:




Tight.  LBC showin' some love to the tour.  Props to Academy for hosting the event at Party Weirdo, by the way.  Walked down to Pine hoping I'd run into some peeps there, but no such luck.  Did find this though; dudes in Long Beach are baaawwwlin':




Walked back to the spot thinking no one was even gonna be there and I ran into some peeps there...tight.  I knew the night was gonna be kragenoff now.




I'd heard this club was nice, but I didn't think it was gonna be THIS nice.  Pretty plush, underground, Bat Cave-type feel to it.  Peep it if you're ever in the area.  The bar was mad wack though...about a billion people in the heezy and 2 fuckin' bartenders.  Ordered a drink and got it just in time for when I left...just kidding.  Compared to the Shithole from the night before, this spot was a definite upgrade.


Wish I would have known who the opening DJ was cuz he was spinnin' some dope cuts.  Dilla, Dilated Peoples, Common...this cat was doin' it.  So Wolf got on just after midnight and, of course, rocked the place out.





Gotta be honest, didn't expect he was gonna play THIS much Hip Hop on the tour.  But like I said a couple days ago, I'm not gonna complain.  It's still early on in the tour and he's gotta spread out the videos over 9 nights, so more good ish to come.  


I'm really gettin' reminded though of just how much Hip Hop took over music in the 90's.  So many dope songs that, even though I have a pretty good memory for, I didn't remember or haven't heard and/or seen the videos for in ages.  Props, Wolf...it's cats like you that keep dudes like me on top of their game.





Love that last video...showin' LBC some love with those joints.  Then this next one here..."Return Of The Mack" into "Pimp Of The Year".  Wolf, you'z a genius!





So that was pretty much how the night went.  Another one for the record books and the memory bank.  I gotta give props cuz LBC showed a lot of energy; even Wolf shouted em out on it.  Good to see people giving lots of love on this tour.  I feel lucky that I've been able to take part every night so far because not everyone is afforded that same luxury.


But part of why I do this and go to shows for the artists I love whenever I can is to show love back; to support the artists that have made the music I've loved for so long.  With the passing of DJ AM, I've seen a lot of people saying how dope he was...how he was every DJ's favorite DJ.  And I'm definitely not disputing that.  But show these cats love while they're still alive...give 'em flowers while they can still smell 'em.  And that only doesn't go for artists, celebrities, etc...let your family, your friends know just how much they mean to you while you still can.  For as much as they might aggravate us at times, we all know that our true friends and family can never be replaced and we should appreciate them whenever we can.


I've said for awhile that Wolf is my favorite DJ right now and I sincerely mean that.  Just because someone else might pass doesn't mean I'm gonna jump ship and say so and so is now the "greatest" because they're gone.  Dilla passed, now he's considered one of the greatest.  Same goes for DJ AM now.  Particularly in Dilla's case, he deserved to be recognized when he was with us.  I guess I'm saying...support those people that you admire and show them love whenever you can.  Don't wait until they're gone to harp on why they were so amazing.


I'm lucky that the music scene I'm into affords me the chance to meet the artists that I admire.  So it's an honor to be able to get to tell Peanut Butter Wolf directly how much I love his label and the contributions he's made to our culture and my life personally.  And to see his reaction and appreciation means just as much to me as it does to him.  He's one of the humblest guys you could hope to meet.  So thank you, Wolf.




Child with peeps after the show...too much ish to get into here.  I don't wanna put anybody on blast, haha.  But I dug this picture the homie Eric had back at his place.  Recognize.




I know I'm posting all this shit maaaaad late.  It's only a few hours before the next one, but never late than never.  Was gonna post last night or early this morning, but only 6 hours of sleep the last two nights combined kicked my ass and I'm gettin' my energy back up for tonight...Footwork at The Terrace in Pasadena.  Holla back.  I'm a 1/3 of the way there.


My next post might be kinda wack...no camera tonight or probably tomorrow but I'll get as much of it as I can on my iPhizzle.  I hope the video quality doesn't suck :-/


-Miles logged so far: 120.9-


3 shows down...




...6 more to go




-Rm







No comments: