Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Prelude To A Classic

I can't believe it's finally here...




With the exception of maybe the days leading up to The Do-Over returning for the summer, no other event gets me more excited than Peanut Butter Wolf's yearly tour of Los Angeles.  It started with 777 (of which I did 3), then 888 last year (of which I did 5) and it continues this year with 999, of which *crosses fingers* I want to do all 9.





Wolf is hands down my favorite DJ right now.  He may not be the flashiest cat out there...he doesn't do crazy tricks, he doesn't cut like crazy or Transformer scratch, he doesn't beat juggle.  But what he DOES do is select the finest music in just about any genre you can imagine.  His musical knowledge is truly something to behold.  He can rock a party just about as good as anyone I've seen and it comes from his ability to pick just the right song at just the right moment.  It's truly something special to witness.




So I'm using 999 (and beyond) as my jumpoff for what I hope will be 13 straight days of pure musical massacre.  Lord willing I won't die sometime along the way in doing this, but I'm sure gonna have fun trying.  If I don't make it, anyone reading this I'm sure will be the first to know if I fail miserably.  And with my genius planning, I happened to pick the year that Wolf decides to spread out the shows more than ever, covering 9 area codes all around the Greater Los Angeles area.


I'll try to post as much stuff as I can the night of (if the cousin of death doesn't get me first) for those that maybe aren't able to make one, or more, or any of the shows on the tour.  I'll try to get as much footage and/or pictures as I can, if anything just for myself and nostalgia sake.  But wildin' out like I'm known to do at shows, I might forget to get any footage at all.  My apologies ahead of time.  


So keep it tuned...it's gonna be something special.  But don't take my word for it, anyone reading this please try to come out to at least one of these events.  Please come experience something that can't be captured on video or pictures.  If money is a concern, a couple of the events are free and some are only $5 to $10.  The distance...well, that might be hard for some to handle.  But your support for Stones Throw records, one of the truly great independent labels still around, is much appreciated.  Hope to see some of you there...


But I'm not only using this as a means of escape; I have other things that I want to do as well.  I don't really wanna give too much away, or hype things up way more than they need to be, but like I mentioned in my last post, losing yet ANOTHER musical outlet in Mike Nardone's We Came From Beyond show has inspired me to try and contribute to my music & my passion, Hip Hop, a little bit more than I have.  If for nothing else, at least for myself...to show that someone out there still cares about it that much.  The Twitter/Facebook/YouTube/Blip/Blogger pages, etc...they're all leading up to something that I hope people can appreciate.


More than anything though, I want to use this as an outlet to show my enthusiasm for what I do and what I support.  And maybe a little bit of that can rub off on anyone who feels me on that tip.  This tour (and the next few events following that) will give me the chance to show that Hip Hop (and other genres, too) is still alive and well, not just here but worldwide.  Like I mentioned yesterday, it's just a matter of not settling for what's given to you and to stay on the hunt for music that is truly worth the time, money and effort.


So try it out.  Somewhere along the course of 9 area codes, I'm sure you (yes, YOU) can find something to appreciate.


-Rm

No comments: