Thursday, September 3, 2009

Peanut Butter Wolf's 999 Tour - Day 2 (9/2/09): Low End Theory At The Airliner In Los Angeles (323)

Day 2 took us to the venue I lovingly like to refer to as "The Shithole", but it might be better known to you as The Airliner.  Shit's so ghetto, even the fuckin' sign is crooked (maybe you can't see it so much in this picture though).




No cool ticket stub to hold onto like the one I got yesterday.  But they gave me this equally cool wristband.  This lets the bartenders know that I'm old enough to drink...




Since tonight's tour stop was in L.A., you know I had to represent represent...




So I walk in and think, "Hm...maybe I've given this spot a bad rap.  Maybe it's not as bad as I remember it."  I get to this stairwell to make my way upstairs to where Wolf is spinning and I instantly snap outta THAT fuckin' dream.  I mean, just look at how straight up nasty the carpeting on the stairs is.  I wouldn't be surprised if the bottom of my kicks caught an STD or three.




So finally I get upstairs and the spot is crazy packed.  It got even worse a little later in the night.  Oh yeah, and the roof was leaking what I sure hope was water.  This spot refuses to stop reminding me exactly why I call it The Shithole.




So Peanut Butter Wolf and Prince Paul made their way to the stage, finally.  Please note the 90's attire.



One thing I like that Wolf does is how he takes each venues particular music preference and uses that to build his set.  The first night was very Hip Hop heavy and last night was no different, since most of Low End Theory's DJs seem to spin mostly Hip Hop.  A sprinkle of some R&B was thrown in, even Bjork at one point, but the focus was kept on Hip Hop most of the night.  OC, Lords Of The Underground, Show & AG...even some RBL Posse for the Bay Area heads, and then back to L.A. with South Central Cartel.

Here's a clip I got that shows the creative things Wolf does with video.  Check how he takes OC's line "rappers are in danger" to transition into KRS using the same sound bite in "Rappaz R N Danja".  Tight.



I always like the cats in the crowd who hear a song and go "OOOOOHHHHH" when a beat drops, but you can tell they don't even know the fuckin' song.  I'm not tryin' to knock someone for not knowing EVERY song, but don't front like you know shit when you don't.  There was plenty of those cats out in full E-F-F-E-C-T last night.  Since Prince Paul was in the house, I can safely say they get the gas face.  I'm just sayin'...

Not only that though, dudes were tryin' to fight in the crowd.  Why? Because someone put an elbow up on somebody else's shoulder.  Are you serious?  Take that shit outside, man...we don't need that.  At one point it got so crazy in there that security had to spray someone with mace and drag his ass outside.  I guess he REALLY got the gas face (zing!)

Mad people were coughing and some said they couldn't even breathe.  And here I thought it was just the weed smoke.  I didn't find out until after the show of what had happened.  This news, however is unverified so take it for what it's worth.  Dispensaries, take note...please offer blunts laced with mace in the future.  I'm just sayin'...again.

Anyway, Wolf ended the set with "Rappcats" by Quasimoto and paid a fitting tribute to all the incredible Hip Hop music that the 90's offered.  It's crazy to see all the classic material that dropped, seemingly on a weekly basis.  Too many joints to even name that were life-changing.  But he shouted out Prince Paul in one of the vids and I thought that was really dope.




So that was the event in a nutshell.  It's something that's got to be experienced; seeing Prince Paul in the flesh, such a legend like that, is an honor.  I only got to say what's up to him real quick and I officially geeked out.  He may never remember me or that moment, but I will never forget it.  The fact that he stayed here an extra day to do night 2 of the tour was dope and much appreciated.  Thanks, Paul.

I'm only 2 nights in and I feel like a zombie at work right now, but I gotta hang in there.  No rest for the weary, gettin' geared up for Party Weirdo in the LBC tonight.  Holla.


-Miles logged so far: 94.3-


2 shows down...


...7 more to go




-Rm

No comments: