Sunday, September 6, 2009

Peanut Butter Wolf's 999 Tour - Day 5 (9/5/09): Fuck Yeah Festival At Los Angeles State Historic Park In Chinatown (213)

MY APOLOGIES: I've been having problems with the blog the last couple days.  Yesterday it was the HTML code (which I was able to fix and yesterday's post is now OK), today this thing is not lettin' me embed my videos directly into my blog & I didn't notice it until after I'd finish this post and published it.  I have no idea WTF is up and I don't have the time to fix it right now.  I'm posting the links to all my videos from last night's show, it just won't be as pleasing to the eyes & you can't play them directly from here.  My bad, people.  For those of you that care, I'll try to fix this soon.  Back to your regularly scheduled programming.


Not really a marquee that I can take a sign of at the Fuck Yeah Festival like I have for all the previous spots, so I took a picture of their box office




Yeah...this was the box office.  Something told me this venue was gonna be a little bit different than the rest.  At least I had some dope music (as always) to inspire me on my way up there.  Not having an iPod sucks :-/




So I didn't manage to get as many pictures as I would have liked this time around.  I didn't have my digital camera (FAIL), so again I was stuck using my iPhone which hasn't been working too bad for video and uploading.  But since Wolf got on right around 8pm, it was getting dark and no flash on a $400 phone = Apple FAIL.  C'mon Apple...step ya game up.  I still love this phone though, haha.


Not really gonna get into what I heard, but this festival wasn't all that crackin'.  There was speakers intially covering the screen Wolf was gonna use for the videos and they wouldn't let him set up his own screen that he brought with him.  It just seemed like things weren't gonna go too well on night 5.


I guess I'll pretty much just let the music do that talking for the rest of this post.  Wolf gave his proper introduction to anyone in the crowd that might not have known what time it was


http://www.twitvid.com/F4D86


Wolf fed off the predominantly Rock/Punk crowd and went in with Portishead to start off the set.  There was a few Stones Throw fans that I saw in the crowd so he had to give 'em a little something from ST's catalog.  Check the use of the Busta vocal sample go into Lootpack's "Hit Ya Wit Dat"


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmSnctdyYX0


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UblhXPGx7eY


He switched it up a bit and went into another of favorite bands with Rage Against The Machine into...Prodigy?!  Daaaaamn.  Don't even remember the last time I heard that joint, but it was ill.


http://www.twitvid.com/B5D9D


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yvfbP6v4sI


Highlight of the night was probably this next clip:  Check Baby Boogaloo, who is Wildchild of Lootpack's 4 year old son, go in on Bell Biv DeVoe.  The crowd went nuts on this one


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQzYRm13Fq8


Wolf did about 45 minutes and was done. Things started off not looking too great, but Wolf spun gold out of straw and really showcased his skills to a new crowd that might not have known who he was.  Not really a Hip Hop crowd per se, but they were really responsive; even more than I initially thought they would be.  The combination of videos and music done in a way that I'm sure not too many of them had seen gave them an experience that I could tell they appreciated.  All through the crowd after the set I could hear people telling each other how much they dug it.  He announced that this was really the first "Hip Hop"-type act they'd allowed at this festival, so it meant something more in a way and maybe will lead to future underground artists performing at this festival.


So PB Wolf pulled through a little bit of a rough spot and to my surprise dropped a dope set when it looked like it might not have gone well in front of a whole new crowd.  I mentioned this to him afterwards and he was surprised too by how well it went.


Day 6 is today and we're keepin' it moving...Lovemade at Detroit Bar tonight.  I actually really really like Detroit Bar, celebrated my birthday there last year and is a spot I always look to hit for shows with my OC peeps.  If you're in the area, roll through.


-Miles logged so far: 211.5-


5 shows down...


...4 more to go




-Rm

No comments: