Saturday, September 5, 2009

Peanut Butter Wolf's 999 Tour - Day 4 (9/4/09): Footwork At The Terrace In Pasadena (626)

DISCLAIMER: Before I even get started about last night, I have to put something out there. I was fortunate enough to chop it up with Mr. Wolf himself last night and came to find out that he actually has come across this blog.  Damn, what an honor!  But as I told him, now I'm self-conscious about it and knowing that he might be reading this may, even subconsciously, skew what I write in future posts.  So please, people...take that into account and don't think I'm trying to suck up to anybody if I've only posted positive comments about the tour so far.  What can I say though: he's an amazing DJ and I don't think I've ever heard him spin a bad set.  To his credit though, he told me he would even listen and accept any bad criticisms of the tour so far and he's a stand up guy for doing that.  He's one of the humblest artists I've ever met, for real. 


Keepin' the streak alive, trying to go 4 for 4 like a good 9 innings. So the next stop was The Terrace in Pasadena



For as many Hip Hop shows that I've seen flyers for at this spot, amazingly I'd never been here.  Chill little spot though




Quick little random encounter I thought I'd share: so I was rockin' this shirt last night


I'm standing by the bar in front of the stage and this dude next to me says, "Hey, that's a dope shirt.  My homeboy wears that brand."


So I said thanks and gave him props for recognizing Crooks.  Now, I couldn't tell if he was drunk or not but he then asks, "What is that supposed to be, the Grinch?"  WTF?  He caught me so off guard with that that I didn't even know what to say.  I just let him know they took it from a video game (one of you might get the reference) and he just looked at me and left.  Like I said...ran-dumb.


My apologies also for the fact that I didn't have my digital camera handy (and probably won't today either), so I had to improvise and use my iPhone; which isn't bad, mind you, but the audio doesn't come out as crisp especially when the music is loud.  I tried my best so sorry if the audio and/or video isn't quite the best.  Plus, for some reason my phone was trippin' in conjunction with YouTube and wasn't letting me upload certain vids...wack.  TwitVid came through on a couple of 'em though and bailed me out.


So about midnight Wolf gets on to do his thang.  I liked this shot I took of him and everyone setting up.




When Wolf and I were talking about the tour, he mentioned how I noted that the tour had been very Hip Hop heavy so far.  And, like me, that just stemmed from the fact that he was such a huge Hip Hop head during the 90's.  So maybe, just maaaaybe, he took that into consideration because he switched it up a lot this time around and I really dug that he did that.  A little more Reggae, R&B, a little bit of House and even some Alternative Rock. Props on the STP, Wolf!  One of my favorite bands of the 90's


A lot of people don't know it about me, but for as much as I loved Hip Hop back in the day...90's R&B was my shit, too.


 


He took it everywhere and everywhere, but Wolf still had to keep Hip Hop on deck as always.




He even got mad creative with this one and took it back on the video game heads with a clip from PaRappa The Rapper then into some REAL old shit with Leaders Of The New School.  I bet almost nobody even knew who that was, but it's hard not to recognize Busta Rhymes, even in his younger years.





Yes, yes...and another one done.  Still hangin' in there pretty good.  Only a couple more hours til I bounce on my way to the Fuck Yeah Festival in Chinatown.  Never been to this fest and I'm sure there will be a whole new audience for PB Wolf that have never heard of him before.  Hopefully they show some love back.  But seeing him do his video set for the first time is a definite treat that I know non-fans can even appreciate.


Got inspired driving back home past Downtown...best city in the world.  Made me think how this tour really showcases all our great city has to offer and how lucky I am to live here and experience the music scene that I do.  It may not be for everybody, but it's perfect for me.  I hope more people can discover it and I appreciate PB Wolf doing his part with this tour.





-Miles logged so far: 168.3-


4 shows down...


...5 more to go




-Rm

No comments: